Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Lots and Lots to Share...

We had a great time at Hideaway (the cabin) - the chilly mornings were just right for hot chocolate! The kids played and hiked, I cleaned and crafted, we had marathon card games and generally wore ourselves out.
Isn't it amazing how some people can just lay down and fall asleep wherever they want to?
Derek barely made it out of the car (after hiking around the lake).

Seriously, this kid would not wake for anything! Amazing. :)


This little guy is tired, but he wants to be in on all the action.
I love snuggling with him - it will not last forever...


Lots of projects and plans...

Many people love these button bracelets that I make. My hair stylist bought one from me a few days ago to give to her mother. I wear mine all the time, and get compliments often. Once I was wearing it while shopping at Anthropologie, and some employees gathered around and admired it, and asked if I bought it at an Anthropologie store. ha!
Well, that was validating... :)

My big project...
CLASSES AT MYSTIC PAPER
"Literature Artification Summer Social"
I'm teaching a summer series of classes for young teen girls that are projects inspired by books! I'm really excited about the whole concept, and hope that it will be fun for the girls, too.
Here are the three books that the projects will be based on:

The first class will be a bunch of reading accessories - book marks and book covers.
I want to introduce the girls to basic techniques, fun products, and different styles.


I love this bookmark! Real vintage math flashcard, and vintage crochet lace, distressed with Ranger inks...



This bookmark was a fun challenge.
Using only two pages of a vintage book, create a message or poem.
I had so much fun with it - I seriously want to make a whole tag book of "text poetry"!

Wouldn't it be fun to have a whole shelf of beautiful books?!




The second class will be an art tote bag based on the book, The Tail of Emily Windsnap.
She makes a big discovery and has a great adventure.



More class projects on the way!
I must finish them this week, along with the swap projects that I'm creating.
*******
I found this cool fabric at the thrift...

And I made it into this...


A cover for my planner!


Pockets made from the cuff of a shirt

The back

The inside back. You may notice my little tag - that's my studio.
Paddywacks. Ta - da!

About this plate...
I found this at the thrift store also - and was so amazed to see that it was painted by
my step grandma! What luck! When she died, I didn't get any of her painted things
so I think I was meant to have this one! It's beautiful...
Happy Day!

6 comments:

Alisa Noble said...

Whitney, that little monkey is so stinkin' cute!
Your projects are awesome!
And the plate!!! OMG! How cool is that!! You were definitly meant to have it!
Alisa

Lois said...

Wow! Awesome projects! You are very talented indeed!

Just Us said...

Hi, I found your blog from Molly's and I had to comment because I am in serious love with your button bracelet. It really does look anthropologie good. Do you sell them? If not, would you consider selling me one?! :) I live in Utah, so let me know if it's possible and how much it would cost. (I also love the idea of the book inspired classes for girls!)

Jilynn said...

Whitney I wish that I had half of your creativity and talent! You are amazing and I can't believe how big your little boy is!

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

That is fascinating! you found something at a thrift that was done by a family memebr!!?? what luck!! Go buy a lottery ticket while you are on a roll.

Domestic Bliss & FOUND said...

wow Whitney- I did not know you did all of these fun projects- sounds like they are doing some other workshops at Mystic that I did not know about!
That is so funny about the books- we had talked about doing a childrens' literature club of some kind for summer...

I love those bracelets!
Fun!- Well- if you feel like spreading the creativity- let us know!- but we don't want to teacher steal or take away from anyone else-- we want Mesa to be "the place" for creative folks!
Happy Mothers Day!
K