Saturday, May 31, 2008

Camp Hideaway Countdown

We've got a really fun old cabin in the mountains that a family of cowboys built in a sort of "jimmy-rigged" way, with a piece added here and there over the 25 years that they owned it. It's really crazy, and even crooked (grandpa got the measurements mixed up so the whole thing slopes just a bit!) - but we love it.
Now it's time to get everything set up for Camp Hideaway, a special time with my two girls and their friends. These pictures are from last year - thanks to my friend, Janae, who came along to help. It's really neat to plan special times with teenage kids. We have so much fun!

Here's the cabin - where everyone sleeps. I have 14 fully outfitted beds with comfy bedding. I've really kept things simple as far as decorating. I don't want to have to clean so much when I'm there to relax. :)










Each year we have a theme, and I structure things around it - but we keep everything pretty easy going.

We do several crafty things. Here you see my examples of the mailbox (made out of paper plates), a pillow, a magnet board with magnets, button bracelet, and a photo holder.
Easy and fun. The girls also made a mini album (with all the usual yummy paper crafting elements).


I give the girls a camp kit. Everyone got a CD of songs that went with the theme, a great little book, and some beauty stuff (we did pedicures one evening).





One of the most fun activities are the dinner parties. We're there for three nights. Each group gets to give a dinner party for everyone. The first night, the adults do it - to give an example of how it can be. The girls then have a drawing to see which night their group will be hosting. Last year we had a restaurant theme - cute signs that Grandpa helps to create, place settings, and party favors. The girls prepare the meal (with my help), set up and decorate, and host a fabulous party! They really learn a lot doing it...
















The smudges on their faces
are their little mustaches!
Italian waiters....
We did a service project for one of the crafts. We made 100 refrigerator magnet memo clips that we gave to the home bound seniors who receive "meals on wheels". That was fun -the girls felt really happy to do that.










Every one's "art-your-heart" photo rock...
The memo boards and magnets...
Hiking and picnicing at the near-by lake...
Watching movies at night out on the deck...

I think Camp Hideaway is more fun for me than anyone! It's a bit of work - but very rewarding as I think of the memories that I'm creating with my daughters - and their friends. They realize the effort that I'm making for them, and they're so sweet and appreciative. These are good times.
This year, our theme is "Lucky Girl". We're focusing on feeling grateful, saying thank you, and moving beyond luck to goal setting! We have so much to be thankful for, and so much that we can accomplish in life. We really are lucky girls!
9 days to Camp Hideaway!!!

4 comments:

Alisa Noble said...

Oh my goodness, Whitney, you are just amazing! What a wonderful time for you and your girls and their friends!
Alisa

As Told By Molly said...

I love it - the whole thing.
Now that's time well spent!

Quinn & Ogden Nash said...

Whitney your amazing! What about a camp hideaway niece retreat? Huh huh?
I am going to be making some little crafty things to sell at the little farmers market here in my little town, any suggestions on what is easy to mass produce? I have a couple of ideas but want to have a little variety.

Whitney Johnson said...

Hey girls - let's plan it!! A grown up girl (we'll span the generations) Hideaway. We can all contribute crafty projects, yummy favorite recipies, delightful books...wouldn't that be fabulous?!