Friday, May 30, 2008

Rice Krispy Treats. Love Them.

Rice Krispy Treats have got to be one of my favorites. Let me tell you about these....
I worked at a coffee shop years ago where the owner made these at home and brought them in every morning. They would sell out within the first hour every time! I was lucky enough to get the instructions before I left for my summer job in the theater. I worked in professional summer stock theater for five years at the Jackson Hole Playhouse in Jackson, Wyoming. I actually managed the theater during the day, and was in the shows at night. Well, I started making these for the concession stand at the theater, and people would come in the next day and ask if there were any more that they could buy! Crazy - but they are just so perfectly soft and yummy. Addicting. I've had several (I never count) today.



I like to wrap them in individual squares - maybe it's habit, but I think that it keeps each serving softer, especially if they're just for an anytime treat. The wrap also provides a handy way to hold them (they should be called "rice krispy 'n sticky treats"). Paper napkins and krispy treats really don't get along! I also like to put a thick popsicle stick in them for a special look - parties or bake sales.












Famous Rice Krispy Treats
Supplies:
Jelly roll pan - makes 24 summer day squares, or 48 perfect little party treats
Large bowl that fits in your microwave - you could use a smaller one, then use a separate bowl for the final mixing if you have a really small microwave (where there's a will, there's a way).
Wooden spoon
Cooking spray - to coat your pan and fingers

Ingredients:

One large size box Rice Krispies - you can make your treats as gooey or as krispy as you like.
One 16 oz bag mini marshmallows - this has to be exact. I even prefer this brand marshmallow.
One cube butter or margarine - margarine treats stay softer longer, butter tastes a bit better.

How to make them:

These instructions are for a standard high wattage microwave. If yours is not so powerful, just make slight adjustments.
Melt the cube of butter in the large bowl. I put mine in for 1 minute. Dump the whole bag of mini marshmallows into the bowl and stir, completely coating the marshmallows with butter.
Take a moment to spray your pan with cooking spray.
Microwave the marshmallows for no more than 1 minute 30 seconds.
This is important! Less cooking time is what makes a soft treat.
The marshmallows will not look melted. See the picture below.

Just give them a vigorous stir and they'll become creamy.

Now gradually add the cereal to the marshmallows. I try to be careful so I don't crush up the Rice Krispys while I'm stirring. Use as much cereal as you like.
What's your Krispy treat style? I'm kind of a traditionalist - I like them best plain.

The beauty of it is that the whole batch just falls out of the bowl into the pan. Hardly anything to wash out - it just takes a second with hot water.


Done! So fast and easy! Yummy, too.

Daniel is enjoying a treat.
So much that with his mouth full, he was only willing to squish his eyes up for a smile.


The End
p.s. Because our internet was down today, I've was not able to blog. I'll have to tell you about Camp Hideaway tomorrow. No time now - it's midnight. I think I need a snack...maybe another Rice Krispy Treat...

1 comment:

Alisa Noble said...

Yummo!!! As soon as the cupcakes have all been eaten in our house, I'm making some of those! So that means I'll probably be making them by the end of the day! :)
Alisa