Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Art and craft and all my stuff...

I really should have started organizing and sorting before now...oh well! I'm super excited because it's time for our home addition to really get moving. We're adding about 4000 sq feet to our home - included in that is an art and craft room for me (wow)! Finally, tomorrow they'll open up the walls and connect the new and existing spaces. So, I've been busy shuffling kids and stuff (all my art and craft things) to new places. My boys have to share other rooms , and sort of camp out until we're all done in August. It's going to be an exciting summer - we'll probably escape up to the cabin quite a lot...
Here's my new craft space - a whole room with a nice window that opens to the front yard! There'll be a sink under the window. Now I need to plan the layout of the studio space. Sewing (I have three machines), hand work, papercrafts, jewelry, floral stuff, work space, and storage for supplies. Any advice out there??? I really want to plan well ...

This is our guest room which I've gradually overtaken. There was a bed where that table is just a couple of days ago (it was also covered with stuff!), and most of the little shelves and things were in the closet, which I just had to empty because it's going to be deconstructed! I took this picture just now - in the middle of sorting and deciding what to keep here and what to temporarily store until the new space is finished. As you may imagine, I think I need to keep EVERYTHING - but there really isn't room. ha! I feel really blessed to have a whole room of my own to create in. I've always had crafting things (sewing machines at least) out and at the ready. I can't imagine living without these things... in one little house, I set up my crafting station in the hallway!
Back to the work of it all... I'd love any advice about creating my new studio!!

3 comments:

Alisa Noble said...

I don't know what to tell you. My space keeps moving around the house. I keep telling my husband something needs to happen... we need to build on, we need to get a new house or the boy needs to go to college now! You're so lucky!
Alisa

Whitney Johnson said...

Ya - there are so many different approaches to the creative space! I keep reading books about it...
I do feel very blessed!

blessings said...

How lucky are you?!! I have a sewing room but it's much smaller than what you're getting. But I love my dainty rosy room so I'm not going to complain =) Go visit Melissa at theinspiredroom.wordpress.com She always has great organizational posts. Blessings... Polly