Monday, November 17, 2008

Yummy, Yummy Chocolate Pie

This really is an old recipe! It was my job for my whole childhood (seems like it, anyway...) to stand at the stove and stir the melting chocolate and marshmallow so it wouldn't scorch. I was so happy to find it a few years ago with modifications for the microwave! Now, this pie filling is a snap! And a total crowd pleaser. FYI - I checked on Google for this recipe, and at least in the first several listed, did not find any quite like this. Similar, but not the same crust for sure. I really like the traditional pie crust. It balances out the richness of the chocolate, in my opinion.

So, start by making your pre-baked pie crust. I like to make a homemade crust, but when I'm in a hurry, I prefer the Marie Calendar brand frozen crust. I always let it thaw enough to re-crimp the edge. Then at least it looks homemade! :)

INGREDIENTS:
1/4 C milk - whole is best, but 2% will do fine
1 1/2 C miniature marshmallows
8oz. (1/2lb.) Hershey milk chocolate candy bar- with or without almonds.
1 C (1/2 pint) cold heavy whipping cream
1 traditional pie crust pre-baked and cooled

DIRECTIONS:
1. After you've baked your pie shell, break up the chocolate bar. Notice the nice square pieces? Well, this is important - you get to eat two of them while you make this pie! Or, you can give them to your children who may be clamoring for some of that huge candy bar. Just make sure you remove two of the little squares because you don't need quite all of the bar. You need 7oz. specifically. 2. In a microwave-safe measure cup, pour in the 1/4 cup of milk. Then add to that the 1 1/2 cup mini marshmallows. Large marshmallows will only work if you cut them up. Microwave at HIGH for 45 seconds, then stir well. Now microwave an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each, until the marshmallows are melted. It should not take long!3. Add the chocolate pieces to the hot milk and marshmallow. Just stir it up and the chocolate will melt - no more cooking is necessary. Now set this yummy stuff aside and let it cool to room temperature.
4. When the chocolate mixture is almost cooled, you can start beating the cream. 1 cup of heavy cream - not cool whip, or anything sweetened. Just a 1/2 pint of heavy whipping cream, in a medium sized bowl, whipped until it's stiff.

5. Then, with hand mixer on the lowest setting, stir in the chocolate. YUM! Dump it all into your pie shell, smooth it, and swirl it so it looks pretty! Lick the bowl, and your done! The pie needs to be refrigerated, and will be set in about 4 hours. Overnight is even better - it slices up firm, and really cold and fluffy.
We usually add the sweet cream toppings just before eating. You can cover the whole pie, or just dollop cream on individual servings. I make these pies the day before Thanksgiving, and I always have a piece for breakfast after I get the turkey in...don't tell my kids...

Have Fun!

8 comments:

Alisa Noble said...

YUMMO!
I'm so making this this weekend!

Holly Janeen said...

i am totally using this recipe for thanksgiving... thanks :)

Beth said...

wow !! that looks sooo yummy !! thanks so much for sharing !!!
xo,
beth

Bethie - Chic Junque said...

Yummy! I will definitely be making this pie, for sure! Can't beat chocolate!

Alisa Noble said...

Hey Whitney!
Did you get my email? Thank you SO, SO, SO much!!!!

As Told By Molly said...

Hey Whit! I was a huge success at Thanksgiving with your pie.
I think next year I'll have to make a double batch so that I can make one pie and eat the rest while it sets up. :)
Hope you had a great holiday!

Jaime and Jen DISH said...

Hey there, I made the pie tonight and it was delish! My hubby loved it. I'm going to post it on my blog in the next first days, I will give a shout out to you...keep posting recipes for sure!

Alisa Noble said...

A big Happy Birthday hug to you!!!