Monday, November 10, 2008

Gratitude Drawing Winner...


Daniel reached his cute fingers into this little cup and pulled out the winner. And the winner is.... Bethie!! Bethie is from Colorado, and has a darling shop called Chic Junque and a fun blog. Bethie, I'll be e-mailing you today. :)

Because Daniel couldn't stop at just one (he's two, remember), I decided to draw two names this time. The second winner can choose from the two goodies that remain after Bethie has made her choice. What fun....and the second winner is....Katie Nash!! Katie lives right here in my very own town, and her Dad is my very own big brother - well, what do you know?:) I'll convo ya, Katie!
Thanks for playing, everyone!!
Later today (after I snap some photos) I'll post about the next give-away drawing. This is so much fun...check in again tomorrow so you can enter your name! :)
********
Today I'm grateful for
Home

This is our front door today. I'm really grateful for our home - it's our dream home, really. We've been working on our home addition for about two years, and it's several months behind schedule- not finished yet, not sure when it will be. I'm taking advice from the "Attitudes of Gratitude" book and living in the "moment" and realizing all the things I have to be thankful for today, even through the predicament of ongoing construction and quickly approaching holidays. My new house will be so spacious! We'll (someday) have every type of room we want. What a blessing. I'm so thankful for this... :)
Look at the houses I've lived in during my adult (married) life...
I really liked all of them, by the way, because I love the "cottage" feel.

Flagstaff, Arizona - this was an old carriage house.


Jackson, Wyoming - I lived at the theater where I performed nightly and managed the theater box office during the day. I lived upstairs...


Bloom Cottage - I had three kids in this tiny house. We had fun flower gardens!



This (below) is a 1920's bungalow that we renovated. Before we painted, the house was this horrible chalky black color - just like a chalkboard. So, we enjoyed drawing on it for quite some time...until it was painted a cheerful "butter yellow".
And, here is my home now, this morning.
The outside is mostly finished - everything to the right of the white van is new.
It's exciting to have lots of space, but that's not what makes a home wonderful....
I'm really grateful for my home, but mostly for the love and people that fill it up!
HOME IS WHERE THERE IS ONE TO LOVE US
Home's not merely four square walls,
Though with pictures hung and gilded;
Home is where Affection calls-
Filled with shrines the Hearth had builded!
Home! Go watch the faithful dove,
Sailing 'neath the heaven above us.
Home is where there's one to love!
Home is where there's one to love us.
Home's not merely roof and room,
It needs something to endear it;
Home is where the heart can bloom,
Where there's some kind lip to cheer it!
What is home with none to meet,
None to welcome, none to greet us?
Home is sweet, and only sweet,
Where there's one we love to meet us!
-CHARLES SWAIN
ENJOY THIS DAY!

7 comments:

Quinn & Ogden Nash said...

YEAH! I never win at drawings! It totally made my day! (Thanks Daniel for picking me!)
I think out of all your houses, Jackson is my favorite. It was so fun to visit it as a little kid because it was so cool that you lived on top of a theater.
Now I will have a reason to come and visit with you. Thanks Whit!!

Whitney Johnson said...

Katie, I can't see your e-mail anywhere. Will you e-mail me what your two favorite picks for the goodies are? Then I can get your winnings to you. :)

As Told By Molly said...

What a fun tour down your house-memory lane. I think the Playhouse was my favorite, too. But who couldn't love a chalkboard house? ;)

My crazy crazy life said...

The chalkboard house was the best...my kids would love that! I can't wait for the next gratitude contest...I loved putting in my "two sense"...it made me smile every day.

Bethie - Chic Junque said...

OMG! I actually won something! I'm so excited and very grateful! I just love your blog entry with the houses! I think living above the theater would have been a blast! Your current house is just beautiful. Again, thanks for the prize and the blogging fun!

Lori said...

what a lovely post about home Whitney...that chalkboard house made me smile, i bet you all had fun with that before it was painted over...congrats to your winners...thanks SO much for popping over to visit with me!!!

Anonymous said...

your homes all look so cosy and happy!