Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Queen Bee

Flowers on Telegraph Hill in San Fransisco. Bees may be a theme here on my blog as August rolls in! I'm preparing to teach one of my favorite classes - "Becoming the Queen Bee". I've given this presentation several times before to groups of women who are in the thick of mothering and teaching and home keeping. I personally have always loved home keeping. Even during the times that I can't control the mess (we're in construction zone right now!), I love the idea of it. The thought of having nothing else to do but put away, polish, and putter in my home seems like heaven. When I was young I'd spend hours organizing and decorating my bedroom. My Mom was the best Queen Bee - we often made cleaning into a fun game by playing the parts of English house maids! Even those who really dislike the work of home keeping can make it more enjoyable, and feel the lovely calm that comes after the chores are done.
"The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do."
-James M. Barrie
As I snapped these photos, I thought of the work that people put into their gardens - especially these on Telegraph Hill! They're gorgeous!
Here are some favorite quotes from my class outline:
"With each sunrise, we start anew."
-Anonymous
"I believe we all have this instinct to create beauty, distinction, meaning in our lives. Your daily and lifetime rituals can define you, and they can keep your spirits up: they are important for you, for your family, and friends. Look for natural beauty in all things. Beauty encourages us; it gives us joy and energy to care more and not settle for less."
-Alexandra Stoddard

"What a great blessing it is to struggle to teach a child the correct principles of life, and to make the home a great medium to do so. What we teach our children, how we mold their characters to try to make them responsible family members, loyal citizens, and noble children of God, affects not only us and them but also their children and their children's children - an awesome and exciting challenge!"
-Lynda J. Eyre
"There are women who make things better simply by showing up. There are women who make things happen. There are women who make their way. There are women who make a difference. And women who make us smile. There are women who do not make excuses...women who cannot be replaced. There are women of wit and wisdom who, with strength and courage, make it through. There are women who change the world every day."
-Ashley Rice

6 comments:

Cristine's Story said...

What a beautiful post Whitney. I love the photography and the quotes!

Alisa Noble said...

Wonderful quotes and beautiful photos Whitney!
I, myself, strive to be that domestic goddess. I stress the word "strive" here. :)

Bethie - Chic Junque said...

Hi Whitney! Thanks for visiting my blog. I love the color of your blog...it is so joyful and the pics are beautiful. I love quotes! I find the domestic daily routines very tedious but satisfying. I really do enjoy making my home comfortable, pretty, and a place where my teens like to hang-out! Love your blog, I'm adding it to my favs!

As Told By Molly said...

I know my surroundings have a lot to do with the way I feel about myself. Like a messy and crazy kitchen usually means it's been one of those days for me too!

Your pictures are beautiful. They put me in the mood for a road trip!

Jilynn said...

I wish I felt the way you did about housework! Maybe I should take your class again. It was so great the first time. Give me the details.

Anonymous said...

I love that last quote, I'm going to copy it and keep it handy. You're class sounds intriguing--any more info about it coming up? Just found your blog, it's lovely