Sunday, March 30, 2008

Blooming

The roses are finally blooming at my house. We have 18 rose bushes along our back wall - many colors and types, but they all smell really good! I had to try some photos.




My husband planted the roses- 18 bushes for the 18 years that we were apart, learning the life lessons that we needed. Now we've been married for 4 years. It's a beautiful thing.

So, I was taking the pictures and I realized that there was some sweet music playing - my little troubador on the sunning chair! He plays the harmonica quite well..

Speaking of roses, below is a picture of one of the beautiful ceramic boxes that my Grandmother, Julia Rollins, made.



Don't you love the colors - so vintage!

Her mother, Harriet Webb, was a prolific crafter and an amazing ceramic artist who passed on the talent and desire to her children. My Grandma and her sisters all had their own ceramic shops - I grew up running around my Grandma's shop while my Mother worked there. I never learned how to make these beautiful roses, but I did learn so many crafing and sewing and candy making skills fom my Grandmother and Great Aunts. Of course, my Mother taught me the most - by her creative example, by patiently letting me be a part of every project, and keeping supplies always on hand...
It is a legacy of homekeeping, beauty, and love that I treasure!




Here is my Great Grandmother posing for a news photo and article about her and her art and crafts. Everything - paintings, embroidery, crochet, ceramics, wall art, even curtains, lamps and rugs made by her. Wow... and she lived to 102 years old!

Hope we all find ways to bloom this spring




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your roses are beautiful and your grandmother's box is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

I love the story and photos about your great-grandma. It's so great to grow up around all of that creative spirit and love.