Wednesday, March 5, 2008

American Idol Brooke White and her teacher ... little ole' me!


I'm so excited for Brooke! I taught private voice and piano lessons for many years, and I was a high school choir and student leadership teacher for seven years at Heritage Academy. Brooke White was my student! It is so great to see her beautiful face on television - wow. Brooke's first public singing performance was the school musical - "Meet Me in St.Lois". I was the musical director for the show. Brooke was such a natural on stage even at the young age of 16. It was a joy to work with her - and I love her Mother, who babysat my little girls during all the extra rehearsal hours! We just found this clip on You Tube of Brooke singing at my summer vocal workshop recital. That's me playing the piano for her performance. Ha! A blast from the past...




I'm so proud of Brooke. Look how far she has come - her sweet and tenative singing (really, her first exploring of her talent) at 16 years old, compared to her comfortable expression and confidence now. It's so great!
She is being tagged as the "nice" girl on American Idol. Let me tell you, she is completely real and sincere, and is not pretending about her convictions or her personality. She has lived well - she is a great example to young girls who want a "star" to shine after. I know my girls are glowing, especially because they know her personally.
I haven't spoken to Brooke for a long time because - well, I haven't kept in touch with students after they graduated, and she moved to California, and I stopped teaching. :) But I would love to let her know how happy I am for her. Bravo, Brooke!!!

4 comments:

Eileen said...

I happened across your blog, and just wanted to say that Brooke has been my favorite girl from the start!
Lovely blog, I'll visit again.

Jilynn said...

Whitney your blog is like a breath of fresh air! It's so happy and positive. I love the title and the picture and seeing your crafts. I have one request, maybe some time you can post directions, at least for the easier crafts, so that craft handicapped people like me might be able to do it! Actually, that sounds like a lot of work for you, so nevermind! Here is my blog daveandjilynn.blogspot.com

bailey grant said...

Hey! I didn't know you had a blog! That is so cool. Add me to your friend list ok!

your blog is very cute by the way!

Bailey :)

Alexa Lett said...

Our family watches American Idol religiously! This has become one show we all sit down and debate together. How cool to hear about Brooke White. I will certainly send my daughter to the links to watch her. Good history for her to see!